Network monitoring tools

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Tue Aug 17 19:29:35 UTC 2004

Unfortunately the switch is out of our control, and I don't have access
to it.  So, instead what I've done is used tcpdump to capture packets on
the server and one of the workstations.

I tried using ethereal to generate some statistics from the tcpdump
capture, but didn't get what I was hoping for.  Basically, I'd like to
break down the network usage hourly to see who is using up bandwidth,
what the IPs are responsible.  Web-based graphs would be nice to get
quick overall views.

I tried searching on google for any tools that do this and surprisingly
in the hugh lists that came back, none of them do this.  Any one have
any recommendations?

Ryan