[RH List] RE: Separate shell and www servers...

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Aug 17 19:38:47 UTC 2004

> >Right.. that's what I was thinking as well.  Well, if you want them on
> >separate servers more because of a resource issue than any other
> issue (like
> >security) then why don't you set it up similar to what you did
> with mail and
> >use links?
> >
>     Because I didn't use links.  User INBOXes all reside in the same
> location: /var/mail/$USER and there's nothing else I have to do there.
> I don't need any symlinks to point anywhere from there.  Their own local
> folders sit in their personal mail folder /home/$USER/mail/, just their
> INBOX sits elsewhere.

Sorry for the confusion .

on your webserver, create all your user accounts in /home/www
e.g. userA and userB
/home/www/userA
/home/www/userB

on your shellserver you have
/home/userA
/home/userB

now create a mount point /home/www

mount webserver:/home/www shellserver:/home/www

on shell server:
ln -s /home/userA/www /home/www/userA

And that should do what you're looking for with only one mount point
(wwwserver:/home/www mounted on shellserver:/home/www)

Whenever you create a new account, in your adduser script add the command to
create a link

Hopefully that helps, sorry for the confusion

Ben