[RH List] RE: Separate shell and www servers...

Tobias Speckbacher TSpeckbacher at quova.com
Tue Aug 17 19:59:03 UTC 2004

To avoid problems with permissions inside the webserver I would probably
use suexec (http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/suexec.html) support for
apache.  That way you wont have to use a generic group across all
accounts which could cause you some security issues in the long run.

Probably also save you support headache when users start to chown their
content to their groups and do all kinds of other funky stuff with
ownership.

I also would highly recommend a directory service to synchronize users
between the 2 systems.  NIS is easy to deploy but it also is very easy
for users to get a password/user map using ypcat passwd.  Havent used
LDAP recently but it seems the way to go in regards of directory
services these days.

As for the mounts ... one static mount of /home is very easy to
implement.
Autofs or automount seem to be viable for this task as well although
slightly more complex in implementation.

-Tobias