encoding not working on man pages?

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Aug 17 20:16:01 UTC 2004

> Thank you all for the help (and pointing me to the FAQ).   My
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> contained:
>
> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>
> I changed it to
> export LC_ALL=C
> export LANG=C
>
> However, I'm still having a problem with our webpages (run through apache
> and resin).  The encoding seems to still have a problem on some pages that
> are being served.  In one case, the apostrophe comes up as a question mark
> (although when I cut the encoding itself into its own file and
> load it in a
> browser, it comes up correctly as an apostrophe)

I took Malcom's suggestion in that the "C" lang may not include some
locale's that we really would like (such as on the web pages).  Instead, I
took out the UTF-8 off the original i18n files so the i18n file now reads:

LANG="en_US"
SUPPORTED="en_US:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

and now the apostrophe on the website now comes up correctly

Thanks again

Ben