SSL/TLS error in pine

Steven shaughto at ee.ucr.edu
Tue Aug 17 20:36:07 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am having a problem with pine.  Whenever a user logs into pine they
can only open up two folders... I.E Inbox and .sent-mail.  After that if
they try to open another folder this error appears:

There was an SSL/TLS failure for the server

                                <server.domain>

The reason for the failure was

                            SSL negotiation failed

This is just an informational message. With the current setup, SSL/TLS
will not
work. If this error re-occurs every time you run Pine, your current setup is
not compatible with the configuration of your mail server. You may want
to add
the option

                                    /notls

to the name of the mail server you are attempting to access. In other words,
wherever you see the characters

                                <server.domain>

in your configuration, replace those characters with

                             <server.domain>/notls

Type RETURN to continue.

I replaced my server name with <server.domain>.....
I looked up this problem online and found this:

> My outgoing SMTP host is set to use authorization and SSL (with
> novalidate_cert). That works well, but every now and then, at random, I'll
> get SSL negotiation failures:
> SSL/TLS failure for mailhost.panix.com: SSL negotiation failed

This error message occurs when the server fails to do initial SSL
negotiation.  The actual error condition occurred in the bowels of the
OpenSSL library.  SSL negotiation failed" is Pine's default message for an
OpenSSL error when OpenSSL does not pass up any error message.

Generally, it means that the server closed the connection without
transmitting any SSL negotiations, although it can also happen if the
server sent non-SSL data.

However if this is the same problem that I am having then I should not
be able to connect at all with pine... And if it is an openssl problem
then that would affect all programs such as Outlook and not just pine.
Also when I look at the pine debug logs it shows that the connection
simple closes after opening two folders.

Any ideas why this is occuring because I am stumped.

--
Steven D. Haughton