VNC not working

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Aug 18 15:41:40 UTC 2004

kenwardc wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a brand new Linux Redhat server installed and have switched on
> the VNC server. If I go into the GUI and look at the services running
> on the unit the VNC server is running OK.
>
> I have opened the correct ports in the firewall and pointed them
> specifically at my IP address in the office.
>
> When I try to connect there is an instant "Failed to connect to
> server" message from the server. If I have a look in the firewall log
> my access attempt is recorded as "passed" which means the problem has
> to be the setup somewhere on the server.
>
> Help? ;)
>
> Regards
> Chris
>

> ---
> All messages scanned by AVG 7.0 Anti-Virus scanner and TGIS Anti-Spam Firewall.

hmm.  I usually have to be logged in as a user with VNC server then run
vncserver...then I can connect to that session.  I'm not sure if you can
actually run it as a service...it starts, but usually is stopped.
That's been my experience.  There may be another way to set it up to run
differently however.  With mine I use ssh start a session and vncserver
then I use the gui to connect.

Wade