Fedora Core and Lexar JumpDrive Sport USB Flash Drive

Carl Riches riches at ms.washington.edu
Wed Aug 18 17:12:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Mailing List wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:17:32 +0200 (SAST), Willem van der
> Walt<willem at top.health.gov.za> <willem at top.health.gov.za> wrote:
> > Funny as it might sound, I have had one of these thet worked when mounted
> > without a partition number.
> > ie. mount -tvfat /dev/sdb /mnt/floppy
> > hth
> > Regards Willem
> >

>   Yeah, I tried that.  Unfortunately it didn't work.
>
>    I keep on getting the message:
>
>    mount:  /dev/sdb is not a valid block device
>
>    There is nothing wrong with the flash drive as it work without a
> hitch on other Linux boxes.  It's just this one box I get the problems
> on.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried:

  cdrecord -scanbus

to see if it is even showing up?  My experience is that these devices
(JumpDrive/FlashDisk/USB memory drive) show up under Linux as SCSI
devices.  The "cdrecord" command will tell you where they are:  SCSI bus,
LUN, and target.  My instructions to our users is to use that command to
locate the device, then map the "cdrecord" output to a SCSI device ID
(/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.)

Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches at ms.washington.edu