Fedora Core and Lexar JumpDrive Sport USB Flash Drive

Wed Aug 18 17:58:42 UTC 2004

> Just out of curiosity, have you tried:
>
>   cdrecord -scanbus
>
> to see if it is even showing up?  My experience is that these devices
> (JumpDrive/FlashDisk/USB memory drive) show up under Linux as SCSI
> devices.  The "cdrecord" command will tell you where they are:  SCSI bus,
> LUN, and target.  My instructions to our users is to use that command to
> locate the device, then map the "cdrecord" output to a SCSI device ID
> (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.)
>
> Carl

After performing this command it seems that the problem is that it is
not showing up.

The output of the cdrecord -scanbus is:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003
Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
1.75 02/10/21 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ADAPTEC ' 'RAID-5          ' '320R' Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-RW  DVR-104 ' '1.40' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

However on a different linux machine when I perform the same command
it does show up.

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.19
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
        0,12,0   12) 'QUANTUM ' 'ATLAS IV 36 WLS ' '0808' Disk
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'LEXAR   ' 'JUMPDRIVE SPORT ' '2000' Removable Disk
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

Now I am wondering why the FlashDrive will show up on the one machine,
but not on the other.  The machine that it shows up on is a RedHat 7.2
machine while the machine that it does not show up on is a Fedora Core
1 machine.  I would think that if it worked under 7.2 it should
probably work under Fedora.