Linux backup

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at cariboo.bc.ca
Thu Aug 19 15:26:26 UTC 2004

I use amanda for all my linux/aix backups as a network backup solution.
Amanda is in fact just a wrapper for either
tar or dump.  I specify tar for the linux boxes and dump for the aix
boxes. It works famously.

I also have a couple of linux boxes which need to have their own tape
backup (not network backup) on servers that run
24/7 and have many access_log files that change.  I use tar for these
and again, it works famously.

/bin/tar -b 64 -pcf --ignore-failed-read /the/directory/Im/backup/up
does not error out on a messed up file.

I have found in most cases, as far as linux is concerned, tar really is
powerful enough to do pretty much all you need.
For network backup solutions, Amanda works quite nicely, is easy to
install and to get working, and is pretty darn reliable
as far as backups and backup reporting goes.

Wayne Pinette

>>> malcolm.kay at internode.on.net 19/08/2004 5:54:59 am >>>
On Thursday 19 August 2004 22:10, Ryan Golhar wrote:
> What are you backing up to?

A FreeBSD machine setup for the purpose; with facilities to
copy the backups to tape or DVD.

> The procedure I use is to copy all home directories from one machine
> another every night from the backup server:
>
> rsync -arp --delete -e /usr/bin/ssh mainserver:/home /home

Sounds good to me.

> I have RSA keys in place to avoid password prompts...

Yes, that's what I am doing, but passing compressed archives through
'ssh';
However i believe I can accommodate the uncompressed copies -- at least

temporarily.

Thanks

Malcolm Kay