RAID on RedHat 3 ES

Michael Wimpee mwimpee at gs.washington.edu
Thu Aug 19 17:38:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:02:16AM -0500, Steve Phillips wrote:

> Software RAID comes with a preformance hit that with todays processors
> you probably will never notice.
>
> RAID1 would be ok, if you are after rock solid redundancy then
> purchase another drive as a hot spare (and if your really keen, try to
> ensure that the drives are nto from teh same production batch)

Be aware however, that under heavy I/O, a failed disk may take a
*really* long time to rebuild under software RAID. We saw >150MB/s using
four SCSI drives under software RAID 5, but when testing rebuild speed,
normal disk I/O caused the rebuild time to get pushed out towards
infinity. It wouldn't have worked well in our situation so we went with
a hardware RAID controller.

Mike Wimpee