What's the file size limit for RHEL 3.0?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Aug 20 23:38:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 02:41:29PM -0700, Dave Martini 1 wrote:
> Is there a file size limit under Red Hat Enterprise 3.0?
> If so what is it and can it be increased?

If it's a limit, it probably can't be increased or it wouldn't be the
limit in the first place.  :-)

> I have a user getting file size limit exceeded error.

Is this the exact error?  If not, please include the exact error
message.  What application is generating the error?

> Is this a kernel issue or a file system issue?

We won't know unless you tell us what is happening when the error
message is generated.  It's possible (and likely) that it's neither - it
could be an application that's not built to support large files.  If
you're hitting the limit on an ext3 file system at 2GB, that's most
likely the case.  A google search for "file size limit exceeded" yields
lots of possibilities.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE