set up account/group with limited access

Alex Dyas alex.dyas at psineteurope.com
Mon Aug 23 15:55:10 UTC 2004

bruce wrote:
> hi,
>
> i want to setup a group/user to have limited access to a box. basically, i
> want to give a user the ability to login to the system, but not be able to
> do anything. ie, i don't want the user to be able to read/write/execute
> anything other than login to the system.
>
> i'd like to setup a group, if possible, that is configured with these
> restrictions. i'd then like to be able to have each user belong to this
> group, thereby having the restrictions that i mentioned...
>
> any ideas/thoughts on how i would/should go about doiing this??
>
> in case you're wondering why i'd need this,  i'm using puTTY to allow users
> to access a website on a server, but i want to restrict access to users via
> logging into the website, as well as via a cheap tunnel to the server via
> puTTY. this should give me a realtively cheap/reasonably secure process for
> users accessing the site..
>
> thanks for any comments/pointers/etc...
>
> i'm using rh8.0

Hi Bruce,

You may want to look at replacing the normal user's shell with a script that
doesn't let them do anything, but keeps them logged in for the session.  I've
used this technique in the past to create a simple menu system for users that
would otherwise get lost on the command line.  Put the users in un-privaledged
groups for added security.

Alex..