Switching SMTP "on"

kenwardc kenwardc at tgis.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 11:13:06 UTC 2004

Hi Folks

I'm new to Linux and must admit I keep on stumbling at the differences
in the way the OS does things compared to W*nd*ws.

Have just set up two mail servers and everything looks OK. Using RHN
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3+ complete with nice graphical GNOME
interface etc.

Problem is that although I can telnet to port 25 on BOTH servers from
the local console using "telnet localhost 25" (they both answer on
that port) I CANNOT telnet to the server using port 25 from outside on
the Internet.

Now... before you ask... ;)

1. No firewall on the local machine - switched OFF.

2. Hardware firewall at both places (each server is in a different
   computer room) allowing TCP 25 and NAT redirection to servers OK.

3. Firewall logs show PERMIT for all port 25 transactions so I don't
   think it's firewall related.

4. Both server updated using up2date to all latest patches etc.

5. /etc/services file shows listening on port 25. Well that's OK
anyway
   because we already telnetted in OK from localhost.

So.. is there some sort of "switch" somewhere that tells the server
that SMPTD should listen and allow connections from OUTSIDE the
localhost? Any help mucho appreciated!

Regards
Chris

---
All messages scanned by AVG 7.0 Anti-Virus scanner and TGIS Anti-Spam Firewall.