Switching SMTP "on"

kenwardc kenwardc at tgis.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 12:18:47 UTC 2004

Hi Alexey

Actually, just to make things more difficult for me, I'm using
sendmail on the one server and postfix on the other. I'm having the
same trouble in both locations which is why I wondered if there was a
"switch" to turn 'em on.

Doing the postfix one at the moment and am told to do the following:

Edit the /etc/postfix/main.cf file with a text editor, such as vi.

1. Uncomment the mydomain line by removing the hash mark (#),
   and replace domain.tld with the domain the mail server is
   servicing, such as example.com.

   DONE

2. Uncomment the myorigin = $mydomain line.

   DONE

3. Uncomment the myhostname line, and replace host.domain.tld
   with the hostname for the machine.

   DONE - I assumed this was HOST.domain.tld

4. Uncomment the mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
   line.

   DONE

5. Uncomment the mynetworks line, and replace 168.100.189.0/28
   with a valid network setting for hosts that can connect to
   the server.

   This appears to be for purpose of relaying only, so only use
   localhost here. Put 127.0.0.1 on this line only.

6. Uncomment the inet_interfaces = all line.

   DONE

7. Restart the postfix service.

   DONE with /sbin/service postfix reload

Once these steps are complete, the host accepts outside emails for
delivery.

errrr NO - it still doesn't! ;) Will go off and double check the
firewall is not getting in the way but as far as I know the server is
in the "Mail Servers" group which should give access to it the same as
any of our other mail servers. So quite confident that it's not
firewall related.

Any additional thoughts on this one for me?

Regards
Chris

Fadyushin
> Sent: 24 August 2004 12:49
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: Switching SMTP "on"
>
> I assume that you are using Sendmail as the SMTP server.
> In the default configuration sendmail does not listen for
> connections fron other machines. To enable listening for SMTP
> connections from everywhere you should comment out od delete
> the 'DAEMON OPTIONS' line in the file /etc/mail/sendmail.mc.
> To comment it out you should place word dnl at the beginning
> of the line, not the usual symbol #.
>
> Then create new sendmail configuration file from the modified
> .mc file:
> m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> And, finally, restart sendmail:
> service sendmail restart
>
> Alexey Fadyushin.
> Brainbench MVP for Linux.
> http://www.brainbench.com

---
All messages scanned by AVG 7.0 Anti-Virus scanner and TGIS Anti-Spam Firewall.