Switching SMTP "on"

kenwardc kenwardc at tgis.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 14:36:01 UTC 2004

Hi Steve

OK - NOT SO FAST mate! <grin> Actually getting the system to work has
created even more issues for me and, me being the brilliant expert I
am on Linux mail servers... err... NOT... I have no idea what to do
about it.

Tried sending an Email in to myself at the server and HOORAY it
accepted the mail but immediately bounced it. Here's the log entry...
obviously my pain is not yet designed to be over...!

Aug 24 15:30:00 hostname postfix/cleanup[4644]: 73B8427EDDF:
message-id=<20040824143000.73B8427EDDF at mail.domain.net>
Aug 24 15:30:00 hostname postfix/nqmgr[4478]: 73B8427EDDF: from=<>,
size=2125, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 24 15:30:00 hostname postfix/smtp[4645]: warning: mailer loop:
best MX host for domain.net is local
Aug 24 15:30:00 hostname postfix/smtp[4645]: 73B8427EDDF:
to=<root at domain.net>,relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (mail for
domain.net loops back to myself)

I've changed the hostname and domain for the moment for security
reasons until I know all is OK. Doesn't matter who I send to - any
local account bounces with the exact same message. Any idea what I've
missed in the setup of the server?

FYI I'm trying to run Hivemail, which sets up as a "catch-all" and
then is supposed to redirect incoming mail to it's own process. I do
have a user called 'root' and another called 'kenwardc' on the system
and the latter also exists in the Hivemail setup, which I guess could
be a problem.

Any help mucho appreciated as usual!
Chris