Switching SMTP "on"

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 25 00:25:14 UTC 2004

kenwardc wrote:

> Hi Steve
>
> OK - NOT SO FAST mate! <grin> Actually getting the system to work has
> created even more issues for me and, me being the brilliant expert I
> am on Linux mail servers... err... NOT... I have no idea what to do
> about it.

<SNIP>

> Any help mucho appreciated as usual!
> Chris

Chris, it sounds to me like you're using a sledgehammer instead of a
chipping hammer.

Have you tried sending a mail with postfix without all the other stuff
you're trying to do?

I mean, it sounds like you're relatively new at this. I can't understand
why you'd want to mess with multiple things without making sure all
components work separately first.

So, again, to question 1: Without anything else active now, CAN you send
mail?

P.S. You also did not mention (as far as I can tell from your posts)
whether you have a domain set up or whether your mail needs to deliver
via your ISP?

Regards,
Ed.