SCSI Tape Drive - LUN Support

Darryl W. DeLao Jr. ddelao at oucpm.org
Wed Aug 25 13:44:08 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

I recently installed an Adaptec SCSI Card in my PowerEdge 2650.  Attached to
the Adaptec card is 1 DLT VS160 Drive.  When I fire up the server, the SCSI
BIOS loads and detects everything perfectly.  When RHEL ES 3.0 loads, it
does not see the DLT Drive.  When I do a lsmod from the command line, I see
my RAID and the CD-ROM drive listed.  Upon checking the /etc/modules.conf
file I see the following listed:

alias eth0 e1000

alias eth1 tg3

alias eth2 tg3

alias scsi_hostadapter aacraid

alias usb-controller usb-ohci

alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx

Upon doing a modprobe aic7xxx from the command line, I see this after doing
cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID RAID5   Rev: V1.0

  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-224E          Rev: K.9A

  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00

  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT VS160        Rev: 1E00

  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The DLT is now listed and I am now able to fire up the software and use the
DLT.  However, now I can not use the CD-ROM drive.  I am unable to mount it
or anything.  When I reboot, everything resets and I have to modprobe
aic7xxx again in order to use the DLT.  Does anyone know what I need to do
or enable or what not so that I can use both the CD-ROM and the DLTVS160
after a reboot without having to issue a command to use the DLTVS160?

Thanks,

Darryl