default route question

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii Rudolf.ladyzhenskii at opennw.com
Thu Aug 26 06:09:08 UTC 2004

Hi, all

I have set up a RedHat 9.0 box as a gateway/router. I have two network cards installed.

ETH0 is conencetd to "outside world" and is using DHCP to obtain networking information.
ETH1 is conencetd to my local network, has static IP and is a DHCP server.

So far, so good.
DHCP server tells the local LAN that this box is a default gateway. This is correct for local LAN. However from actual machine point of view, it default gateway is the ETH0.
How do I set default gateway for the box? It always thinks that it is itself a default gateway. I can always run 'route' and delete default route and set up my own, but wjere do I do that? In /etc/init.d/network script? Is there a 'right' way of setting up Eth0 as default route?

Thanks,
Rudofl

/*******************************************************/
Rudolf Ladyzhenskii