GNOME Login Problem

Oliver Aaltonen aaltonen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:48:18 UTC 2004

I am experiencing a problem logging onto the GNOME desktop with the
following setup:

Server (RHEL3 AS) is exporting /home via NFS and running an LDAP
server for authentication. Client (RHEL3 WS) is mounting /home via an
entry in /etc/fstab.

The mount works fine, and client is set up for LDAP authentication
correctly. I can log in through the console or SSH into the client
machine and access the user's home directory and work perfectly
normally.

The only problem I have is when I try to log onto the client machine
using GDM to run X locally. If I log in as one of the users on the
server, with their home directory in the mounted share, the user is
authenticated and the screen turns blank with a cursor and sits there,
not bringing up a GNOME desktop. I can log in through GDM into a
"failsafe" session, but not GNOME. If I log in as root on the client
machine, everything works fine, and the GNOME desktop comes up
correctly.

There are no obvious errors in the logs that I can find.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Oliver