GNOME Login Problem

Oliver Aaltonen aaltonen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:07:07 UTC 2004

Network connectivity is normal and working fine. As I mentioned, I can
log in through a console, SSH, failsafe, etc. and operate fine. I am
using LDAP for authentication.

All routing and DNS settings are fine, and the network works as
normal. The root user can operate any network-utilizing utilities fine
from within GNOME, and console-based and X utilities work for everyone
else, just not from within GNOME.

I created another test account, this time pointing to a different home
directory, this time using the local directory /tmp/guest2 instead of
the default, NFS-mounted /home/guest2. I was able to log into GNOME
successfully.

Any ideas?

Oliver