/etc/alternatives

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Aug 30 19:00:42 UTC 2004

Thanks for the info.  So, I'm trying to set java (in
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java) to be the default generic java that
gets run.  I tried

/usr/sbin/alternatives --set java /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java

But received the error

/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java has not been configured as an
alternative for java

So, I tried installing it using

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install java java
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java 200

But that's not working, and I'm not sure what the problem is.  (I also
must admit I'm not spending enough time trying to figure it out).  Do
you know how I can get Sun's java from their JDK working again?  Thanks,

Ryan