how to use sendmail as a client

Vipul Ramani linux2000in at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:09:16 UTC 2004

Greetings....

Can u please conformed this things.....!!!!!!

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

This tells sendmail to only look at the loopback device, and not the
network interface for incoming mail.  Change 127.0.0.1 to your eth0 ip
or comment it out by placing a dnl in front of it like this:

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

There's also no problem in deleting it.  Anytime you edit sendmail.mc,
you have to build a new sendmail.cf.  This is done with the following
command:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Now you need to tell sendmail who the local domains and hosts are.
Open /etc/mail/local-host-names and add the name of your localdomain.
In the future this will be the registered domains that are hosted by
this server.  The next thing you need to do is to allow relaying for
this domain.  To do that, open /etc/mail/access and add a line that
looks like this:

mydomain.com     RELAY

You will see other lines aready there for localhost and 127.0.0.1 - do
NOT delete those lines.  Now you need to create the database:

makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access

Now just restart sendmail and mail should start coming in.