RAID 1+0 using LVM?

Daniel Eugenin deugenin at inf.uach.cl
Tue Aug 31 13:41:03 UTC 2004

El lun, 30-08-2004 a las 20:15, Harry Hoffman escribió:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to make a RAID 1+0 array using software RAID
> and LVM. Does anyone know if this is possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

>From /usr/share/doc/lvm-1.0.3/FAQ :

Q19: Why does LVM not support mirroring?

A19: Mirroring or other levels of RAID on a per Logical Volume
     base decreases reliability because you have to take care of
     which Logical Volumes are mirrored and which ones are not.
     I recommend to use dedicated hardware RAID subsystems or Multiple
     Devices to have the redundancy below the LVM. In this case you
     just don't care about Logical Volume data redundancy and you don't
     run into the dangerous situation that your data is not redundant
     by accident.
     If you do have these kind of devices in place you can setup RAID
10/40/50
     if you want to because the LVM supports RAID0. Combining for eg.
several
     hardware RAID5 subsystems in a volume group to set up LVM-RAID0
gives you
     reliability, performance and flexibility at the same time.

--
Daniel Eugenin M.
deugenin at linuxcenterla.com
Red Hat Certified Technician