recovering from stupidity tar

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Aug 31 21:56:58 UTC 2004

Do you still have the directory in which you compiled it, originally?  If
so, the executable may still be there...you could either copy it over, or
you could do another "make install".

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, dbrett wrote:

> I was afraid of this.  Thanks.
>
> I did install it from a tar ball.  I had to do lots of twisting to get it
> work the first time.
>
> david
>
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, dbrett wrote:
> >
> > > What I attempted and what I got were too different things.  Now I am in
> > > need of advice on how to recover from my own stupidity.  Below is the tar
> > > command I ran and the first output line.
> > >

> > > tar -cvf /usr/bin/kstars /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kstars
> > > /usr/share/apps/kstars
> > > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> >
> > Well, it would seem that you inadvertantly overwrote /usr/bin/kstars with
> > a tar file of the same name.
> >
> > At present, I'd say the only option you have is to simply replace the
> > kstars executable.  Did you install from some sort of RPM, or compile from
> > a kstars tarball?
> >
> > --
> > Mike Burger
> > http://www.bubbanfriends.org
> >
> > Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
> > telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org
> >
> > To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
> > message to:
> >
> > site-update-request at bubbanfriends.org
> >
> > with a message of:
> >
> > subscribe
> >

> > --

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit