redhat-list Digest, Vol 10, Issue 4

mark whitroth at cfl.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 15:28:05 UTC 2004

> Subject: Re: upgrade to shrike from 7.3, results
> From: Jurvis LaSalle <lasalle at bard.edu>
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:12:35 -0500
>
> On Dec 2, 2004, at 11:35 AM, mark wrote:
>
>> After having complete and total failure on the "upgrade" - if anyone's
>> paying any attention from RedHat, this is *not* acceptable in a
>> business environment, or for desktop users - every single time the
>> python scripts with anaconda *failed* with unhandled exceptions, I
>> went on to Plan B.
> [snip]
>
> Congratulations!  You've upgraded from a release that Red Hat stopped
> supporting December '03 to a release that Red Hat stopped supporting
> April '04.  It's clear from your actions that you've done very little
> research into which upgrade paths Red Hat actually supports.
<snip>
You're missing the point: perhaps you could describe your recent
upgrades, and whether the "upgrade from a previous release" actually
*works*, rather than crashing anaconda 100% of the time?

How 'bout telling us all how you personally upgraded from shrike to,
say, fedora 1 or 2 (gee, I could have *sworn* fedora was a different
mailing list, but that's not the point), and how the *upgrade* - NOT
reinstall - went. I'd personally be interested in hearing that, and
whether any of what's in shrike is not upgraded, or left out, or what
I'd have to worry about in a ->UPGRADE<-, not a reinstall, to have a
running system like the one I was upgrading from, at the end of the upgrade.

	mark

PS I'm running shrike, with (of course) upgraded libs and kernel. I am
*not* going to put a version of Linux on that I *haven't* run, for
someone with a very short temper, who uses the system like a "typical
user".... <g>

--
FASCISM.  A system of government that exercises a dictatorship of the
extreme right, typically through the merging of state and business