Kernel Panic - no init found...

Miller, Joe joe.miller at us.mizuho-sc.com
Tue Dec 7 15:28:04 UTC 2004

If you are using a ramdisk, are you running mkinitrd? This process will create an image that gets loaded into memory on bootup.

For example:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.x-x.img 2.4.x-x

What you have to do is point grub or lilo to pickup this initrd-2.4.x-x.img on bootup.

title Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (2.4.x-x)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.x-x ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.x-x.img

Note: The second parameter to mkinitrd is directly correlated with the name of the directly within you /lib/modules directory. The name has to be the same. In order to accomplish this, ensure that you change the Makefile to reflect the kernel build sub-minor version.

For example:

1) change Makefile EXTRAVERSION param:

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 21
EXTRAVERSION =-20smp

2) perform the usual make stuff (ie. make bzImage, make install, make modules_install)

2a) Check that there exists a directory called /lib/modules/2.4.21.20smp (this will be same name as 2nd param)

3) run -> mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-20smp.img 2.4.21.20smp

4) make sure you boot loader config reflects the correct ramdisk image:

title Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (2.4.x-x)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-20smp ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.21-21smp.img

5) reboot and load new kernel