System Reboot

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Dec 8 00:26:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:57:45PM -0600, Rich Ransom wrote:

>  17:03:45  up 458 days,  9:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.05
>
> Its running our office mail server, our company website with php and
> postgres. Everything works fine so is there any reason to do a system
> restart?

It depends on which version of Red Hat Linux you're running.  There have
been a number of kernel fixes that plug undesired escalations in
privilege.  If somebody were to hack in via the webserver and get a
local user account, they could then escalate their privs and become
root.

If it was an internal server, I'd leave it alone (and have, locally).
For external-facing systems, patch and reboot when required.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org