about local area networking

Willem van der Walt<willem@top.health.gov.za> willem at top.health.gov.za
Wed Dec 15 09:16:11 UTC 2004

Hello,
You can share your files using samba which is most likely already
installed on your box.
As root, do:
service smb start

If you get an ok as answer, you are set.
Look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and/or its man page for more info.
The easyest is to create a user on your box with the same name as the user
on the windows box and runn smbpasswd to create a password for that user.
The windows machine would then be able to access it from nwindows
explorer.