hd0 psswd boot failure

devrim aksakal devrim at ResQMode.com
Mon Dec 13 16:25:28 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I'm using Redhat Enterprize 3 WS with dual boot windows XP.(I'm using 3rd party boot loader-Acronis-). In recent 2 weeks I lost 2 hard drives.

Here is the problem;

My linux crashes out of the blue and no controls works, a total crash.
So it forces me to hard boot from the power button. When computer passes
the bios screen, it end ups a black screen with a blue (bios like):
"Enter HD0 Psswd" in the middle of the screen. Since i didn't get the password right it gives me an error message: "HDD Locked".

After that I can boot with floppy or CDROM. I tried to install windows
It said "Hitachi 60 Gig hard drive .But windows cannot reach it".

I tried to install linux, it found the hard drive but couldn't format it. I tried to boot it from disk. it found the hard drive but couldn't
read it..

I opened up the computer and removed the internal clock battery to
clear anything set up in the bios. But, no help.

I ran diagnostic from CDROM, it passed everything except "HDD Controller failed"

Then I changed my hard drive. a week later I ended up same thing?

Can redhat damage the disk? or  can I anyway work around this problem?

			   be good......
Devrim Aksakal
devrim at ResQMode.com

917-496 6175
"If You Don't Crash You're Not Going Fast Enuff!!!!"