RH9 Upgrade question

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Dec 20 19:19:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:05:00AM -0700, Bob Smith wrote:
> I've been using RH9 for the past couple of years, and it's time to upgrade.
> I'm using it for mail serving, DNS, and webpages, essentialy as a server,
> for not only my own domains but for a couple of others.
>
> So, is Fedora stable enough, and robust enough, for this purpose, or do
> I need to look at something like RHEL?

I would not consider Fedora for a production server - this type of
use is not in Fedora's mandate, and in fact, Fedora Core's versions
aren't designed to hang around "a couple of years" - about 18 months is
tops.  That's not to say that Fedora won't work - it likely will - but
you'll be applying patches every day or two and finding yourself with a
new Fedora Core 4 by spring.

Ideally, you'd pay Red Hat for a RHEL subscription but if you want the
RHEL stable base without paying for any vendor support, consider one of
the RHEL rebuilds like Tao or Centos (I've been happy with Tao in the
past).

At home, I run Red Hat Professional Workstation for my server.  I only
added a few packages from Dag's archive to complete the server
functionality that I needed.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA