last - i command shows erronous IP

Shashank Bhide bhides at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 18:26:13 UTC 2004

> Is 128.99.1.64  the IP address of the system where the keyboard was used
> to log into GDM?
No, 128.99.1.64 is not the IP address of the system where the keyboard
is connected. However, I have not connected the keyboard, mouse and
monitor directly to the system rather via a KVM (IO gear).  Could this
be a reason why its showing such an IP address?
   I will connect the keyboard/mouse directly to the system check the
logs. May be this could make a difference.

> If it is then I don't think it is a bug.  A login on a Virtual Console
> doesn't imply any TCP-IP goings on, (you don't even have to have an IP
> address at all to log in on a virtual console)
> But GDM is an X-Client application.  So it would have to use TCP/IP to
> communicate with the X-Server.

True, I don't think I would *need* an IP address to login to use the
local login. So the prime suspect at this point is the KVM switch
manufactured by IO Gear! Anyone seen this problem with KVM switches?
particularly with IO Gear KVM switch?

I have the following KVM switch
MiniView 4-port KVM switch
(http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS14&sec=Description#display)

May be someone else has the same s/w  ?  I will post the results should
they change after I connect the keyboard/mouse directly to the server.
Thanks,
Shashank