RHCE exam prep advice

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Dec 22 16:19:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 08:02:43PM -0800, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> The Red Hat training material will not help you with the list of required
> skills (that is already on the web site) nor can it substitute for years of
> hands-on experience.

Nor will the training materials be a substitute for the Red Hat
instructors (Steve Bonneville is fantastic!).

> There is a huge difference between having 'read and understood' something
> compared to having performed it.  I would be more inclined to spend money on
> systems to help build that experience.

I spent about $300 on a Dell PowerEdge server to install RHEL on and do
my learning, testing, and breaking.  I re-installed it multiple times,
with and without kickstart and I broke it in weird and wonderful ways
(Windows boot disk + fdisk/mbr) and tried to fix it all.  Dell currently
has a system on sale for $229 that would do the job quite nicely.
Through Tao on it (a RHEL rebuild) and you're set to go.

> Ed, I thought passing first try was pretty good :-0

It is!

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA