Global Filesystem Limits

Markus Miller mmiller at cruzverde.cl
Wed Dec 29 20:36:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

we are going to buy a new database cluster. The two servers will be connected to a Dell CX700 (EMC Clarion) with about 4 TB of available storage. We want to uses Red Hat Global File System to avoid using RAW device.

Reviewing the GFS Admin Guide on page 12 it says:
---snip---
2 TB maximum, for total of all storage connected to a GFS cluster. Linux 2.4 kernels do not support devices larger than 2 TB; therefore the total size of storage available to GFS cannot exceed 2 TB.
---snip---

I did some research in Internet and definitely the Kernel 2.4 does not sopport devices larger than 2 TB. This makes me think that each LUN presented to the server must be smaller than 2 TB and I would suppose that I could create various GFS with sizes smaller than 2 TB. Is that correct, or does the capacity of the storage itself has to be smaller than 2 TB to be used by GFS?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Markus

Markus Miller