rh9 performance issue with oracle

Thierry ITTY thierry.itty at besancon.org
Fri Dec 3 09:35:18 UTC 2004

Joe,

thanks for the link

thought, i don't think the problem is only oracle related. I used oracle as
a bench tool (and also because it will be the main part of the application
these machines have to serve). Also, I (have to) use oracle 8.1.7
remember : the 2 machines have exactly the same oracle configuration, so
the difference is quite for sure os-related (filesystems, memory config). I
would hardly believe that a 2 way xeon with fwd scsi disks has lower
performance than a pIV with a single ide disk

my questions are for example : why is buffer storage so low ? what about
special tuning options for xfs filesystems ? which tools could I use to
compare latencies between the 2 machines and hopefully get some clues to
where the problem lies ? or which tests should i do (how to bench an IO
subsystem...)

TIA