Experiences with Mail servers

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Sun Dec 5 17:02:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 11:31, Chris Mason wrote:
> > We haven't migrated anyone, so I can't tell you.  If you can't "ask
> > them to start all over again", then why bother looking at
> > alternatives
> > anyway?  ;-)
>
> Because I am only considering alternatives that have a migration path. If
> the back-end IMAP server changes, the mailbox format changes, and the users
> don't know it, that's the perfect migration for me.
>
> I will test the server so I establish some metrics to use.
>
> Chris

not a mail server list per se those people are very professional and
have a lot of experience.

They are in the process of creating a fact sheet for MailScanner listing
the following features:

- protects the enterprise against virus, trojan and "phishing" attacks
  from outside and inside
- virtually eliminates spam using a wide range of techniques, including
  SpamAssassin, DCC, Razor and Pyzor
- screens out pornography and other malware attacks
- used by US Navy and US Army, UCLA, Harvard, MIT, Siemens, HP and tens
of thousands of other sites
- highly scalable, the largest known site filters 11 million messages
per day on 1 server
- professional installation and support contracts available for
commercial users

- supports all major servers including sendmail, postfix, qmail and
others
- no rework of your mail system configuration required to use or remove
MailScanner
- available for all popular Linux and Unix platforms
- available online free of charge - over 350,000 downloads!!!
- full source code available for security audit
- manage using multiple whitelists, blacklists and customized rules
- quarantine suspicious mail
- content and attachment filtering - highly configurable
- a complete list of a features is available at our website
www.mailscanner.info

Notice the part about filtering 11M messages/per day on one mail
server.  Surely, 25 users can't create that kind of workload.  Join the
list and ask them what server configurations they're using at these big
sites.

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>