Experiences with Mail servers

Eric Wagar eric at deadhookers.org
Mon Dec 6 03:01:07 UTC 2004

> What kind of testing have you done?  What size are you "large mail
> folders"?  Have you tried maildir instead?  I've been quite happy with
> Postfix/Courier servers, but I can't give you an accurate
> recommendation without a better idea of your current limitations.

Hopefully I can chime in and ask a question that has arisen in the past week
or so.

At my company the SA's have email going to their desktop instead of going to
the Exchange servers.  (This would include myself.)  Since I need a box I can
burn, blow up, or otherwise destroy, I moved my email to an IMAP server, my
group supports.  (I have about 2.4G of email saved, which won't be getting
any bit smaller anytime soon.)

The IMAP server is an SGI using their freeware version of UW IMAP.  (I know
this is far from an Irix/SGI support forum.)  I also looked on SGI's site for
other IMAP solutions, and they have Cyrus precompiled.  When I tried to
install it on my system, it seemed near impossible.

Then I saw this post.  :)  Am I to understand that UW does support maildir
format, or am I just misinterpretting the statements?  Or, is there some FAQ
that I have missed about implementing maildir in UW?

Thanks
eric