Kernel Panic - no init found...

Anish Mathew nedumannilanish at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 15:14:32 UTC 2004

hi bob
u need to create a ram disk image for ur new kernel.
if ur kernel version is 2.6.0
create the image using
mkinitrd /boot/initrd.2.6.0.img 2.6.0

if ur using lilo as boot loader edit /etc/lilo.con and add
initrd=/boot/initrd.2.6.0.img for ur new kernel
save and exit
run lilo -v to reinstall lilo.

anish.

Bob Metelsky <bobmetelsky at comcast.net> wrote:
Im having a difficult time implementing a new kernel

I do
bzip2 -dc linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -
make menuconfig
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

Researching my error I found this
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-November/msg03120.html

"
2. Navigate through the menus: "Device Drivers -> Block Devices"
3. Enable "RAM disk support", and "Initial RAM disk (initrd) support"
4. Enable any other kernel stuff you want/need.
5. Run "make", then (as root) "make modules_install", and "make install"

The "make install" will create your initrd and add the appropriate
stanza in your /boot/grub/grub.conf.
make install
"
I do not run the original "make" but rather make bzImage

This does exactly that
the new kernel and image are copied to /boot
grub is "automagically" edited
but... I still end up with the "kernel panic no init found - Try
passing init= to kernel"

Any Ideas what i may be doing wrong?

Thanks
Bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify