Compression programs

Rino Mardo joroxx at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 15:58:57 UTC 2004

if you haven't already, you could use the "-j" option with tar to
compress with the bzip2 program. for example, "tar jcf tarfilename
<files>". this should do the trick. ;-)

hth.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:55:50 -0600, Darryl W. DeLao Jr. <ddelao at oucpm.org> wrote:
> What is the best program for Linux use as far as compressing files goes?
>
> I have shares that I tar up every night, but Im not impressed with the final
> size of the tar file.  Winrar on my Windows machine can do much better
> compression, but I would like to keep this on the server side so I can
> schedule jobs to do it all.
>
> Thanks,
> Darryl

"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the
richest people in America.  If I'm not there, I go to work"
	-- Robert Orben