System Reboot

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Tue Dec 7 23:16:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:57:45PM -0600, Rich Ransom wrote:
>  17:03:45  up 458 days,  9:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.05
>
> Its running our office mail server, our company website with php and
> postgres. Everything works fine so is there any reason to do a system
> restart?

Heh.  There are two schools of thought on this.  One figures, "It
ain't broke, don't fix it", plus they figure that long uptimes give
'em bragging rights over Win boxen.

The other--and I happen to live in this one--believes that, while we don't
*need* to reboot on a regular basis (unlike every Windows box I've ever
managed--not a snark, just stark fact), if something IS broken, it usually
shows up in a reboot.  It's better to do a reboot periodically when YOU
can afford to find something is broken, than have it happen unexpectedly.

Plus, every complex system has bugs, and far too many C and C++ programs
have memory leaks.  Even if they're small enough that you can run for
over a year, it can't *hurt* to periodically reboot and clean things up.

So unless you're big on bragging rights, I'd schedule a reboot and system
check every 90 days or so.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat