Can not use eth0 on new Dell 4700

Greg Frinchaboy greg at visionpro.com
Thu Dec 9 17:35:31 UTC 2004

Loaded Red Hat 7.3 on a new Dell 4700. It could not find the onboard
NIC. Downloaded and compiled new Intel e100 driver. Found eth0.
ethtools says it is up at 100 Mb/s half duplex. Can't ping! The box was
shipped from Dell with XP installed. Tested the ethernet port using XP
and it worked. With linux, when the RJ45 cable is plugged in, the cable
connect light is lite. The activity light is not. When I ping the
sub-net, the activity light blinks. So, it acts like I am trying to
send, but I am not receiving. I can plug a Dell 4600 into the same port
and all is well. Both the 4600 and the 4700 use Intel's 82562 chip. The
4600 is an ET rev, the other is an EZ rev. According to the Intel
product page, the only difference is the foot print of the chip: SOIC
vs. BGA. Tcpdump shows no activity. It acts like I need some other
driver to enable the motherboard's interface to eth0. I have plugged a
PCI nic card in and can use it as eth1. However, I need the two PCI
slots for other - not installed yet - hardware!

kernel is 2.4.20
also tried 2.4.28

  Thanks,
  Greg