Help recovering kernel src

Bill McCormick wpmccormick at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 01:52:57 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to rebuild my kernel to support a vscom 2-port serial card.
The card came with a disk having the wrong patches for my kernel version
(2.4.20-6 ... smp BTW), but I thought it might work anyway so off I
patched (a mistake you say?) I got the Vscom option on make menuconfig
but the rest of the make failed: all sorts of errors with undefined in
serial.c.

Now I have the correct patch for my kernel version and I want to start
all over again. Now, after running the correct patch, I do not get the
correct Vscom option during make menuconfig.

Also, as a PLAN B, I saved my original src tree, and copied over the
patched files with the originals. When I try this, make menuconfig tells me:

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-orig-orig-vscom/scripts/lxdialog'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-orig-orig-vscom/scripts/lxdialog'
/bin/sh scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
Using defaults found in .config
Preparing scripts: functions, parsingscripts/Menuconfig: line 1435:
9681 Segmentation fault      awk "$1"
Awk died with error code 139. Giving up.
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 1

and my src dir suddenly has all these MCmenuXX files where XX is from 0
to 59.

yuk!!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,