rh-l] Re: copy of RHEL 3 on the net?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Dec 15 02:26:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:27:19PM -0800, Jared Johnson wrote:
>> Is there a "free" copy of RHEL 3 on the net somewhere?
>
> There are several distributions that are similar to RHEL 3 - they start
> with the source rpms and then remove trademarked packages, rebuild, and
> redistribute.  Check out http://www.taolinux.org for one example. Caos,
> Centos, and White Box Linux are others along this same vein.

Caos, of course, is not a RHEL rebuild, but a distinct
co-project of Centos (which is probably the most widely
supported one of the three mentioned rebuild efforts) in the
caosity.org collection of projects.  Centos is generally
located at:
     http://www.centos.org/projects/centos

I was testing, and discussing release plans for, centos-4 with
both Lance Davis (project lead on the Centos-3 series), and
several other of the development team on #centos of
irc.freenode.net.  Come join the fun.

Caos-1 was a proof of concept distribution on a community
accessible buildsystem (initially hosted on Centos-2
[RHAS21-derived]), which pre- and post-RH Fedora could not
timely attain; Caos-2 (entering its public beta) leverages the
lessons learned with caos-1, a CVS based backstore, and
Michael Jennings' 'Mezzanine' perl based buildsystem tool [
http://www.kainx.org/mezzanine/ ], and looks quite promising.
Here is a screenshot from Greg Kurtzer's laptop from earlier
today:
      http://runlevelzero.net/greg/caos/images/caos2-abiword_gnumetric.png

-- Russ Herrold