Software RAID problem.

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Wed Dec 15 16:06:23 UTC 2004

Well I got a solution, but it isn't what you might expect....

First I edited the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and added "-x" to the sh-bang on
line one, then I rebooted.  I saw that when the kernel is loading it
seems to autodetect raid devices on the disk partitions,  but it wasn't
autodetecting this one.... Hmmm, maybe that is why the dmesg mentioned
"personality 000002 not loaded" for /dev/md4?

Anyway, rc.sysinit was reading /proc/mdstat to see what raid volumes had
already been assembled and were ready for mounting.  It wasn't seeing
/dev/md4 because the kernel hadn't auto-detected it.

So at the beginning of the /etc/rc.sysinit I added the following two
lines that fixed the problem:

	insmod raid1
	mdadm --assemble /dev/md4

And I had to create /etc/mdadm.conf with the following lines:

	DEVICE /dev/hda7 /dev/hdc7
	ARRAY /dev/md4 devices=/dev/hda7,/dev/hdc7

-Ben.