updates

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Dec 17 18:43:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:43:40AM -0700, Larry D Sorensen wrote:
> Can you tell me more about yum and how it would work?

I'm doing this from the top of my head and it's untested, so with that
in mind...

The yum home page is at http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

1.  Install the yum rpm from
http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/taolinux/tao-1.0-i386/RPMS.updates/yum-2.0.8-TL3.noarch.rpm

2. You will probably also need tao-release and the tao-yumconf package.
They're in the same directory as the yum package above.

3.  Install all 3 packages.  Remove the protectbase entry from yum.conf

4.  # yum update

Yum won't install anything unless you confirm the operation first so
this should be a safe thing to do.  The first time it runs, it grabs all
the headers just like up2date does.

Since you're grabbing the packages from Tao, you should read up on tao
from http://www.taolinux.org.  There are mailing lists there too.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE