Samba issue - Newbie looking for some advice

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 18 00:13:28 UTC 2004

Greetings Ronnie,

Boyd, Ronnie wrote:

>  Hi folks
>
>  Wonder if anyone could advise me on a red hat/windows 2000 network
>  issue? I have a single red hat 9 box, which has a directory I would
>  like shared to 6 windows 2000 pro workstations.
>

> > Samba has been installed already.
>

> > When I testparm the smb.conf file, it passes ok.

A good sign it is .

> > If I search for the linux box via windows network neighborhood, it
> > finds it quickly enough, and states that it is a samba server.

This means that the Windows box can find the Linux Box correctly .

>  But I cannot access anything on the red hat box, nothing at all, the
>  usual message is No network path found

The Windows Box returns the error "No network path found " whenever
you try to access something on the Linux box .
While trying to setup Samba myself between a Fedora Core 1 machine and
a Windows 2000 machine , i was getting the "No network path found" message
from the Fedora Core 1 machine  whenever i was forgeting to setup a
route between
the Fedora Core  1 machine and the Windows 2000 machine .
Perhaps you have the same problem .

In order to verify that there is a proper route configured between your 2
boxes try to ping the Windows box from the Linux machine and then
try to ping the Linux box from the Windows machine , both have to
be successfull with ping times in the range of 100 - 200 milliseconds
or even slower .

>  When I try to map to a share i.e. net use l: \\LinuxServer\Share I
>  also get this error message: No service is operating at the
>  destination network endpoint on the remote system
>
>  I can't even net view redhat box

Please read above . If the above problem ( with the network route )
exists these all are reasonable .

>  I know there are loads of samba trouble-shooting sites, as I've been
>  to a whole bunch of them,. but none have helped so far.

If  it is a network route problem then the Samba forums can't help .

>  On the linux box, if I run smbclient /root/files/alias it comes up
>  with something like this:
>
>  Password: session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
>  Which I think means that samba is working ok on the box, but there is
>  a user account issue somewhere. That doesn't bother me too much, I
>  can search out a resolution for that.

The user account assumption is correct . It is one of the possibilities ,
but again if there is a network route problem then you will get the same
message because the Linux box will be unable to find the Windows 2000 box
in order to login and therefore you will have a login faillure .

>  But when I do this from a command line on my windows box: telnet
>  redhatbox 139 it says that connection was refused. That means I think
>  that samba is NOT working ok.

Samba is not operating on port 139 . The response is reasonable .

>  The smb.conf file is fairly simple, nothing fancy in it. There is an
>  encrypt passwords = yes entry to suit the windows boxes

The encrypt passwords = yes options is not generating your problems .

Kind Regards,
  Kostas