Help with RH9/FC installation on new box Please

Asplund, Marcus Masplund at Remel.com
Mon Dec 20 15:58:05 UTC 2004

I have been using Red Hat (.0 for the last couple of years and Linux
        7.2 before that). I built a new box (Prescott 3.0 , Asus
P4P800deluxe
    Mobo,
        512 mb Crucial PC3200 DDR Dual Channel RAM, ATI Radeon 9700
graphics, WD
    120
        IDE HD (7200, *mb Buff, Non-SATA), Pioneer 107.? DVD-RW, Sound
Blaster
        Audigy NX Platinum. I installed Fedora Core on an old drive (20 GB)
and
    had
        the system up and going fairly quickly. I was not impressed though
with
        Fedora Core. I found that It didn't contain many of the server
related
        software that I Rely up in RH9 (no need to go into detail but FC
seems
    much
        to skimpy. I need to use the Machine for a MAIL, DNS, WEB, FTP,
Samba,
        Server for a small user group, as well as my home /Office
workstation. I
        have had my Old Box configured and doing all of the required tasks
to my
        liking with RH 9 and 7.2 previously. (The machine was only a P933
with
    512
        mb PC133SDRAM and was getting low on drive space and became rather
    sluggish
        for what I have been used to with my Linux Boxes. I decided to
Upgrade.
        After Building and installing FC I was not satisfied and decided to
    return
        to RH 9. Here's were the problems have begun. When I formatted and
    installed
        the 120G WD drive. I inserted the First ISO discs to install RH9 and
    precede
        to install . After the Primary Start Up /Installation screen  the
system
        probes for the hardware that is on the system prior to installation.
    When It
        gets to HD/ IDE specifications and their IRQ settings it freezes up
    after
        showing HDA 1 = Primary IDE DMA 5, PIO 3 IRQ 11
        Secondary IDE = DVD RW PIO 3 IRQ11
        Interrupt 11...................................
        	I have tried rearranging the hardware in bios and
physically. I get
        the same result . even starting into rescue mode and using the
noprobe
        command. I have tried reinstalling FC and Mandrake 10.1. Same
result. I
    have
        never run into this problem before. Does anyone else have experience
    with
        this Mobo. It is listed as being compatible with RH9 (and the rest
). Do
        need to go down the SATA route and buy anew drive or is there any
other
        suggestions you could offer. I have been struggling with this for
some
    time
        now. I've never had a problem that I haven't been able to resolve in
    short
        order, even as a newbie.

        ANY guidance would be very much appreciated.
         THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
M.R.Asplund
masplund at remel.com