RHCE exam prep advice

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Dec 22 15:04:11 UTC 2004

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
> It's illegal to drive without a license.  It's not illegal to work on RH
> without RHCE.  It's not a privilege.  It's marketing, just like CNE, MCSE,
> STAR, CCNA, etc.

Yes, it is "marketing"...."marketing oneself".

All these various certificates are attempts by the vendors such as RH to
  provide employers and HR departments with a way to judge, in a
standardized fashion, the technical capabilities of a prospective employee.

The question is not "Does Red Hat charge too much" nor is it "Do "I"
feel it is worth it".  Rather the question is "Does my current or
potential employer place value on it".

If you don't put stock in the certificate and decide against obtaining
one but the company you are interviewing with feels it does carry
weight.....  I think you can finish that line of thought.

As an employer looking to hire I would "grade" a prospect on various
points.  How they present themselves in the interview, their background,
education, etc....  In some cases, having a certificate could act as a
"tie breaker".

After reading this thread I think I will have to add in a few more
probing questions directed at ethics and civics.  :-)

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".