RHCE benefits (was Re: RHCE exam prep advice)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Dec 22 16:00:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 09:30:34AM -0500, Margaret Doll wrote:
> Doesn't having an RHCE help with job promotions or help to procure jobs.

For some people yes. For others, it's an assurance to the employer that
the person they already have on staff actually knows the stuff they're
supposed to know.  I've certainly seen my share of admins who bs their
employers and not all managers are capable of separating the truth from
the bs.

Some employers mandate an RHCE before they'll hire a candidate.  Red
Hat, for instance, requires that all people in their support
organization at a certain level be RHCEs.  You can't be an instructor
without an RHCE certification (breaking the old adage of "those who
can't do, teach" - RH instructors actually do know their stuff).

Search monster.com or other job posting sites for "RHCE" and you'll
probably find listings that require an applicant to have an RHCE.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org