mail delivery on LAN

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 02:31:59 UTC 2004

Sir,
I am trying to configure email delivery on my intranet
LAN. I am running Redhat 9.0. I have about 6
computers, hostnames are host11 upto host16.
When I send a mail from userA at host11  to userB at host16.
It does not get delivered. It keeps sitting in the
/var/spool/mqueue. The question is what additional
configuration is needed to deliver this mail?

Presently, I am not connected to Internet. So, I have
not installed DNS. I am using /etc/hosts. All
computers are pinging each other. I have installed
sendmail on each. I checked up with
             # telnet localhost smtp
They all respond and show me that the mail daemon is
running. When I send mail to a user on the same host,
it gets delivered. For example, an mail from
userC at host11 addressed to userA at host11 is working
fine. But when I try to send the mail to a user to the
other host, it does not get delivered.

Quest1: How to configure the system, that the mail is
delivered to users on the other hosts on my Intranet?

Quest2: My domain (mydomain.com.pk) is registered. The
DNS servers for my domain are the DNS servers of the
ISP. When my Intranet is connected to Intranet, I plan
to install a DNS on one of my machines and a mail
server with an MX entry in the DNS tables. Two of my
users are very fond of Windows. So, I shall tell them
to use their outlook express, and in the SMTP server
and POP server fields in outlook express, enter the IP
address of my mail server. Is this planning OK for
using email on the Internet, for all my users?

Thanks.