iam not able to find these commands.

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Sat Dec 25 18:51:54 UTC 2004

Nagaraj Patil wrote:
> hi there,
> 1.iam  trying to set environmental variables for j2ee
> server  using "setenv" command as per the website
> information.
> but iam not able to find this command in Fedora Core
> 2.
You can set the environment variables (I assume that you are using bash
as a shell) with the 'export ' shell command or usingg the notation
<shell_variable>=<value>. There is some difference between them, you can
read about it in bash man page. If you need the variable to be set every
time when you ligin into system, put line <shell_variable>=<value> into
your .bash_profile (or in /etc/profile for all users).

> how can i set these variables for all users at once
> and wat about setenv command in this distro.
>
> 2.iam not able to shutdown the system using shutdown
> command.the responce is "command not found".
Check the PATH environment variable. If you are working as root it
should include /sbin directory (shutdown is actually /sbin/shutdown).
Also you can call shutdown with full path /sbin/shutdown.
Of course, you need to be root to use the 'shutdown' command.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com